I attended a forum in which a panel of successful young professionals were asked the question: how much of your success is due to what you know?
It got me thinking.
When I reflect on what I have accomplished so far, I’m tempted to say that zero percent (0%) of my success is due to what I know.
The answer is simple.
It is not knowledge that makes things happen; it’s action.
Yes, I had to work hard and study but, ultimately, knowing is not the same as doing.
In the words of Les Brown: If all it took was information, everyone would be skinny, rich, and happy!
Thus, you may be wondering what do I think has contributed to my success?
10 Thoughts About What Contributed To My Success
- Willingness to do something until I do it right.
- Courage to find my voice and stay true to it.
- Commitment to present my opinion even when I’m the only one going against the grain.
- Being willing to face mistakes and learn from them.
- Humility to ask and welcome help.
- Acceptance that I don’t have all the answers.
- Persistence to keep on becoming to be better.
- Awareness to trust my instincts.
- Support from key individuals along the way.
- Wisdom to distinguish what I can and can’t control.
How much of your success do you think comes from what you know?