Recently, I have been reflecting about success and this question I heard a couple months ago:
What sacrifices have you had to make in order to get where you are?
The word “sacrifice” has been close to my heart for many years and reasons. Thus, when I heard this question is brought back many memories, thoughts, and emotions.
My mentor, John C. Maxwell, talks about this concept with his law of sacrifice and the law of trade-offs. Both pretty much state the same thing: **in order to reach our full potential, there’s a price to pay.
I thought it would be nice to make a list of some of the sacrifices I make in order to move forward.
- I stop living a life defined by others.
- I let go of the need to be right.
- I give up a career to pursue my calling.
- I live thousands of miles away from all family and friends.
- I bet 20% of my income on myself.
- I avoid talking to some people I enjoyed having around.
- I give up the need to know how to do everything.
- I resist the urge to have answers.
- I fight the temptation to let my success stop me from learning more.
- I work hard at being patient enough to let the seeds I sow germinate in due time.
I can probably write a few pages defining what each of these mean and give you examples of how they happened but that probably won’t add much more value. Instead, I’ll just share four(4) key lessons from the experience.
- It’s a recurring and ever increasing payment not a one time thing. The more successful I got in pursuing my dreams, the more difficult the choices I have had to make.
- Be prepared to disappoint some people. Some of your fans aren’t going to be happy about you pursuing your own dreams. Many of them will blatantly disagree with you. Be ready to let them go.
- The shortage of friends is only temporary. The fans you lose are going to be replaced by people that believe in your cause and will support you in your toughest times. Find your voice and you’ll find your audience.
- The only definition of success that matters is yours. The world will try to convince you otherwise but don’t succumb to it. When you go to bed at night, make sure you are at peace because you did everything you in your power to live in harmony with your purpose.
What sacrifices have you had to make in order to get to where you are?