Today, I want to share with you a paragraph from Jon Gordon’s book The Power of Positive Leadership”
This paragraph is one I have been reflecting on and also wrestling with for the last 2 weeks.
We are positive because life can be hard. Positive leadership is not about fake positivity. It is the real stuff that makes great leaders great. Pessimists don’t change the world. Critics write words but they don’t write the future. Naysayers talk about problems but they don’t solve them. Throughout history we see that it’s the optimist, the believers, the dreamers, the doers, and the positive leaders who change the world. The future belongs to those who believe in it and have the belief, resilience positivity, and optimism to overcome all the challenges in order to create them.”
As I wrestle with living the process of becoming the coach I am meant to be, I keep remembering the classic apple commercial “Here’s to the Crazy Ones.”
The vision I see and believe in is significantly different from those around me.
It’s frustrating to feel stuck. As my mentor Paul says, stuck stinks. To see my approaches aren’t making a dent in influencing change is discouraging.
- I’m not good enough.
- I haven’t invested enough time in relationships.
- My voice is not meant to be heard in my current environment.
- This is the lesson I need to learn.
All these doubts force me to question how strongly I believe in my vision.
Have you found yourself in a similar situation?
Here’s what I know:
- I’m responsible for the situation I am in.
- I need help from someone outside my circle of influence.
- I have all the tools I need; I’m just not aware of them.
- My belief is not strong enough, yet.
- I feel like I’m letting myself and others down.
- Whatever I choose to believe about this situation will directly impact my results.
My lesson thus far is having the persistence to stay the course in spite of unrelenting opposition is a challenge I’m not willing to lose yet.
However, it sucks to feel stuck.
What actions steps would you propose? What would you do in my situation?